If your proposed building work or renovation is neither exempt nor complying development you’ll need to submit a development application through your Council.

Dependent on council policy, the Council will publicly exhibit the application, and then make a decision on it. Application forms can be found on council websites.

Find my Council.

All development applications, except those for designated development, require a statement of environmental effects to be submitted with the application to council.

Read more about lodging a development application with council.

When submitting your development application to council you'll also need a BASIX certificate. Read more about BASIX certificates.