Skip to main content
photo of construction

Complying Development

Fire safety

Certain fire safety measures and related works may be carried out as complying development if the proposal meets the relevant development standards set out in Fire Safety Code in the State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008 (the Codes SEPP).

The Fire Safety Code allows three categories of development to be carried out as complying development:

  • the installation or extension of a fire sprinkler system in a residential aged care facility
  • the alteration to a hydraulic fire safety system
  • fire alarm communication links works.

For a full list of development standards that apply to fire safety as complying development, please refer to these provisions of the State Policy.

For information about fire safety and external wall cladding, please visit the Department’s Cladding Regulation.

Other considerations

  • All works must be structurally adequate, installed in accordance with manufacturer’s specifications and comply with the Building Code of Australia (BCA).
  • If you propose to remove or prune any existing trees or vegetation, you should contact your council first to make sure you don’t need approval for this.
  • Any structures that would be located on public land or on or over a public road (including temporary structures) require separate approval from the relevant council or Roads and Maritime Services under the Roads Act 1993 and the Local Government Act 1993.
  • Generally, complying development cannot be carried out on:
    • land within a heritage conservation area, or a draft heritage conservation area (there are some exceptions, please check the relevant development standards for more information.)
    • land reserved for a public purpose
    • class 1 or 2 land on council’s acid sulfate soils map
    • land in a buffer area
    • land in a river front area
    • land in an ecologically sensitive area
    • environmentally sensitive land
    • land in a protected area
    • land affected by a coastline hazard, coastal hazard or coastal erosion hazard
    • land in a foreshore area
    • land in the 25 Australian Noise Exposure Forecast (ANEF) counter or a higher ANEF counter
    • unsewered land in a drinking water catchment identified in an environmental planning instruments
    • land declared as a special area
    • land in an environmentally sensitive area
  • In addition, complying development cannot be carried out on land that: