Submission for: Powerhouse Parramatta
Museums & Galleries of NSW
The Rocks, New South Wales
The Powerhouse Museum has held a leadership role for the State’s professional and volunteer run museums and galleries for many years. Museums & Galleries of NSW (M&G NSW) acknowledges that role and we congratulate the NSW Government on its recent announcement confirming the Parramatta development and its decision to keep the museum's Ultimo site. With MAAS in Ultimo being maintained and the ability for the museum to shine brightest in Parramatta affirmed, we support the development as outlined and the commitment it makes to ensure world class cultural institution access and parity for Western Sydney and beyond. When completed, it will signify the importance of equitable community connected opportunity to cultural programming and collections.
We acknowledge and are excited that Powerhouse Parramatta will:
• reflect the communities and cultures of Sydney’s diverse heart, in Western Sydney
• hold First Nations culture at its core
• create a world-class education, research and community Academy in Parramatta, with a particular focus on the establishment of learning opportunities for regional students and young people from throughout NSW
• include further development of offsite store capacity at the Museum Discovery Centre
• maintain and develop programs at Ultimo
M&G NSW looks forward to continuing to support the development of the Powerhouse Museum in Ultimo and in Parramatta. We are also excited to assist with the project’s ambition to renew the effectiveness of the museum’s regional connections and outreach support.
The challenge associated with this project is not just about embracing change. Being future focussed, Powerhouse Parramatta is also about reimagining the way a contemporary museum can work. The project as outlined in the EOI does this. By clearly signposting Sydney’s western centre as the city’s future, it will inject Western Sydney placemaking with the relevance and breadth of its programs.
New audiences, visitor, knowledge and creative economy benefits, striking architecture, innovative ways of working and sharpened cultural leadership will be the result.