The Interactive Buildings tool provides access to interactive models of residential, commercial and industrial buildings. These interactive models can be used to clarify what changes you can make to a property without the need for planning or building approval.
For example, a home owner can check requirements for a roof, carport, driveway or awnings and see whether or not their planned development is exempt.
The Interactive Buildings tool also allows you to print a property specific report.
It provides access to the most common building projects such as:
- Internal building alterations,
- Fences and walls,
- Balconies and decks,
- Air conditioning units,
- Doors and windows,
- Carports and driveways,
- Solar energy systems,
- Swimming pools,
- Garden sheds and greenhouses, and
Go to Interactive Buildings.
To view this tool you'll need Internet Explorer (10 and above), Safari, Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What information can be accessed through the tool?
The Interactive Buildings tool has been upgraded. This means you can enter your address within a council area and view information on what you can and cannot do without planning approval on a particular property.
What does the Interactive Buildings tool do?
The Interactive Building tool helps you to:
- identify what developments you can undertake without the need for planning or building approval, and if these developments are allowed on your property, and
- identify whether restrictions apply, for example it can recognize whether a property is prone to flooding, or if it is in a bushfire prone area.
The Interactive Buildings tool is used by:
- council staff,
- Department of Planning and Environment staff,
- peak industry groups and developers,
- community groups,
- students and academics,
- product developers and manufacturers, and
How to access the tool?
The Interactive Buildings tool can be accessed at interactivebuildings.planning.nsw.gov.au. You can save the Interactive Buildings tool as a bookmark for easy access.
How to get help?
For help using the Interactive Buildings tool please contact us at https://www.planningportal.nsw.gov.au/contact-us.
On the Interactive Buildings website you can click the ‘Help’ link at the bottom of the web page to provide suggestions directly to the ePlanning team. This web page can be found at http://interactivebuildings.planning.nsw.gov.au/.
If the property address is not listed you may wish to contact the appropriate council. The council can inform you whether or not it is providing property specific information to the Department that can be used within the Interactive Buildings system.
- For further information on exempt development rules and zoning regulations you can contact the Codes team at the Department of Planning and Environment on 1300 305 695 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What are the technical requirements to use Interactive Buildings?
- The Interactive Buildings tool can be accessed via any PC computer or mobile device.
- The tool is supported on Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, and Microsoft Internet Explorer (Version 10 and above).
- If you are using an old and un-supported web browser, you will receive a pop-up notification advising that you need to update your browser. This will appear for Internet Explorer 9 and below.