Skip to main content
Construction workers building


This includes information on Construction Certificates, Building Certificates, Occupation Certificates and Subdivision Certificates.

Building Certificate

A Building Certificate is a document issued by Council relating to existing works to a building. A Building Certificate is usually requested by buyers or sellers of property before settlement to make sure that what is being bought or sold is not going to be the subject of action by Council.

Subdivision Certificate

Most subdivision requires development consent under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 (the EP&A Act), except where it may be permitted as Exempt Development or Complying Development under the State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008.

Occupation Certificate

The OC authorises the occupation and use of a new building or building section. For staged works, an Interim OC may be issued which allows you to occupy the completed part of the building.

Construction Certificate

The CC must be obtained from your council or an accredited certifier and includes your detailed building plans/engineering details and specifications.

BASIX Certificate

If you're building a new home, undertaking renovations of $50,000 or more, or installing a pool or spa of more than 40,000 litres, you will need a BASIX certificate.