Skip to main content
image of construction works house

Planning Approval Pathways

Local Development

Local Development is the most common type of applications in NSW, with projects ranging from home extensions to medium sized commercial, retail and industrial developments.


Online DA Service  

If you’re seeking council approval on a new build or renovation, you can submit Development Applications (DA) online – anywhere, anytime, with our Online DA Service.

Use of the service became mandatory for selected Greater Sydney and regional-centre councils on 1 July 2020. All councils can voluntarily elect to use the NSW Planning Portal and the use of the Online DA Service will be expanded throughout 2020-21 before becoming mandatory for all councils from July 2021.

Amending an existing DA that was not lodged via the NSW Planning Portal

For development or modification applications before the NSW Land and Environment Court, that were lodged before the NSW Planning Portal mandate commenced, you will need to complete the NSW Planning Portal form and upload your amended development or modification application to meet your court requirements. You will receive a notification from the NSW Planning Portal that your amended application has been received.

Complete the form to amend your application 

What is Local Development?

A development is considered local development if a local environmental plan (LEP) or State environmental planning policy (SEPP) says that development consent is required before the development can take place.

The procedures for applying for development consent, the level of environmental assessment required, the notification required, and appeal rights will differ depending on how a development is categorised. These categories include designated development, integrated development and advertised development.

How to apply online
  1. Register for a NSW Planning Portal account to start your application.
  2. Log in to complete the online application form. You will need to submit Statement of environmental effects, Owner's consent and a Cost estimate report. You may be required to submit further documents to support your development application 

Other Resources  

Telecommunications in new developments

If you are a developer or owner-builder, there are important Commonwealth telecommunications rules you need to comply with.

View more information 

Your guide to the DA process

Building a new house or renovating your property is always exciting. However, the Development Application process can sometimes be confusing and overwhelming. That’s why we’ve developed ‘Your guide to the Development Application process – Small housing development’, so the pathway to building your home can be faster and easier.

View your guide

The Best Practice Guide for Councils

The guide draws on successful practices used by councils that assist in the timely determination of development applications. It was developed in close collaboration with many high growth local councils and draws on their proven processes and procedures.

Since the guide was released, the Department has met with 37 councils across regional and metropolitan NSW to discuss their development assessment processes. Many councils site the guide as a useful resource and benchmarking tool. 

View the Best Practice Guide

Bushfire recovery

Many people in NSW lost their homes or businesses in the recent devastating bushfires across the state.

The NSW Government is continuing to make changes to planning rules to make it easier for people to recover and rebuild after these bushfires.

The Department of Planning, Industry and Environment is continuing to work with councils, communities and state agencies on what else is needed to support the recovery and rebuilding effort.

More information is available on the Department’s website.

View information

Portal fees

In accordance with the NSW Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000, applicants are required to pay a digital application processing fee for certain planning applications and certificates.

A full list of fees can be found on the NSW Planning Portal Service Fees page.

More information

If you need assistance using the Online development application service, please view our quick reference guides or contact ServiceNSW on 1300 305 695 for additional support.

If the online DA service is not yet available in your area, you can apply directly to your local council.