Skip to main content
Complying development

Complying Development

Home-based enterprises

Some business and commercial enterprises may be carried out in a house that’s used as a residence (a dwelling house), if the proposal meets the relevant standards set out in the State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008 (the Codes SEPP).

The State Policy lists two types of home enterprises that may be carried out in a house as complying development (fast-track approval process):

All development must comply with the conditions contained in the Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000, and the standard conditions located in these provisions of the State Policy.

Other considerations

  • Generally, complying development cannot be carried out on:
    • land within a heritage conservation area, or a draft heritage conservation area (there are some exceptions, please check the relevant development standards for more information.)
    • land reserved for a public purpose
    • class 1 or 2 land on council’s acid sulfate soils map
    • land in a buffer area
    • land in a riverfront area
    • land in an ecologically sensitive area
    • environmentally sensitive land
    • land in a protected area
    • land affected by a coastline hazard, coastal hazard or coastal erosion hazard
    • land in a foreshore area
    • land in the 25 Australian Noise Exposure Forecast (ANEF) System counter or a higher ANEF counter
    • unsewered land in a drinking water catchment identified in an environmental planning instrument
    • land declared as a special area
    • land in an environmentally sensitive area.