Skip to main content
a city street scene

Planning Approval Pathways

Integrated Development

Councils will refer the certain applications to the necessary agency so that there is an integrated assessment of the proposal.

Certain development applications require approval (such as a permit or license) from a NSW Government agency (also called an approval body) before a determination can be made by the local council (the consent authority). These are called integrated development. Council will refer the development application to the necessary approval body so that there is an integrated assessment of the proposal.

Approval will need to be obtained from the approval body, for example, the Environmental Protection Agency, before development consent can be granted. Integrated development applications require an approval listed in Section 4.46 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 (EP&A Act). Examples of this include an aquaculture permit, mining lease, pollution licence, Aboriginal heritage impact permit.

The consent authority (council) must refer the development application to the relevant approval body and incorporate their general terms of approval. It must not approve the development application if the approval body recommends refusal. The council may determine the development application without the advice from the relevant approval body if advice is not received within:

  • 40 days of the application being forwarded to the approval body (if the DA is not advertised) or;
  • 21 days (if the DA is advertised) from when the public submissions are forwarded to the approval body (or another timeframe if additional information has been requested).

How to access the concurrence and referral service

  1. Register for, or log into, your NSW Planning Portal account
  2. Upon successful login, select the relevant application from your dashboard.
  3. You are able to view, track or make payments online to state agencies related to your development application from this location.

Register and access the concurrence and referral service

Secretary Intervention 

The Secretary now has power to act in place of an approval body under s4.47(4A) of the EP&A Act to prevent delays in the assessment of a development application in certain circumstances, as outlined in clause 70AA of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulations 2021.

It supports broader reforms that make the development application process more efficient and allows the Secretary to step in to resolve delays. This service is expected to save applicants up to 11 days compared to current assessment times.

More information

The Development referrals guide helps councils and applicants understand if a development application requires input from a referral authority. It explains when to seek concurrence, make a referral or apply for an integrated development approval.

Read the Development referrals guide

If you need assistance using the online concurrence and referral service, please view our relevant guides or contact ServiceNSW on 1300 305 695 for additional support.