The Minister for Planning is the approval authority for all Critical State significant infrastructure (CSSI) applications and cannot delegate this function to anyone else under the Environmental Planning & Assessment Act 1979 (EP&A Act).
While the Minister is also the approval authority for State significant infrastructure (SSI) applications, he has delegated this function to senior officers in the Department for SSI applications where:
- the local council has not objected to the project
- less than 25 submitters have objected to the project
- the proponent has not made a reportable political donation.
When determining an SSI application, approval authorities must evaluate the merits of the SSI project against the matters in Section 5.19 of the EP&A Act and may approve the carrying out of the project, subject to modifications or conditions, or disapprove of it.
After the determination of an SSI application, the Department will:
- publish the decision online
- give public notice of the reasons for the decision and how community views were taken into account in making the decision.