Skip to main content
signage - shopfronts

Exempt Development

Advertising and Signage

Some advertising and other signage may be classed as exempt development - not needing planning permission

Development standards must be met when constructing, installing or displaying certain types of signs.

The State Policy identifies specific development standards relating to:

Exempt development for signage

To meet the general requirements for exempt development, the sign must:

  • have consent in writing from the owner of the land on which the sign is located, as well as the consent of the owner of any adjoining land over which the sign is projecting.
  • be approved under section 138 of the Roads Act 1993 if any part of the sign projects over a public road or footpath.
  • not be located on or in relation to a restricted premise.
  • not cover any mechanical ventilation outlets on any building
  • not obstruct or interfere with any traffic sign.
  • be securely fixed to the building in accordance with Australian Standards.

Maximum number of signs

The number of business identification signs that can be installed on any premises must not exceed:

  • 3 signs if the building has just one commercial tenant
  • 6 signs in total on any building
  • 1 sign in relation to a home business, home industry or home occupation in a residential zone.

Other considerations

  • If you propose to remove or prune any existing trees or vegetation, you should contact your council first to make sure you don’t need approval for this.
  • Works must be structurally adequate, installed in accordance with manufacturer’s specifications and comply with the Building Code of Australia (BCA).
  • Any structures located on public land or over a public road must have separate approval from the relevant council or Transport for NSW under the Roads Act 1993  and the Local Government Act 1993 .
  • Generally, exempt development cannot be carried out on:
Last updated: 29/05/2023