We work closely with the community, local councils and other state and federal government agencies to investigate compliance complaints relating to state significant development (SSD) and state significant infrastructure (SSI) project approvals.
Complete the form below to make a compliance complaint about a project.
Once we receive your complaint, we will commence an investigation. We will contact you within 14 days to seek further information or provide you with a progress update.
The length of time we need to investigate a complaint varies, depending on the nature and complexity of the complaint. Some complaints can be investigated quickly, others require more detailed investigation, which can take up to 12 months.
Your privacy is important to us and we will not release any of your details without your consent. For more information, refer to the Department's privacy statement.
Allegations of non-compliance with conditions of consent relating to the following approval types will be investigated by the department:
Examples of matters that will not be investigated by the department:
- Allegations of non-compliance with development consents issued by local councils (please contact your local council)
- Complaints, or allegations of non-compliance, relating to Complying Development Certificates (CDC’s) issued by private certifiers (in the first instance, please contact the private certifier and if no response, then contact NSW Fair Trading and your local council)
- Results of investigations carried out by local councils (please contact your local council)
- Approval process for developments approved by councils (please contact your local council)
- Neighbour disputes
- Issues that are the responsibility of other government regulators, including:
- Complaints relating to allegations of misconduct by local councils, the IPAC or private certifiers in the development assessment process. These complaints should be referred to ICAC, the NSW Ombudsman and NSW Fair Trading respectively.