Write to us
The department encourages online submissions to have your say.
We understand that under certain circumstances it may not be possible to have your say online. In this case, you may send a written submission to the department. To ensure your submission is received and counted, please follow the instructions below.
Your submission must reach us before the close of the exhibition period.
Who do I address my submission to?
Both the submission and mailing envelope must be addressed to the nominated contact person or team listed on the project page.
Name of Nominated Contact Person/Team
Department of Planning and Environment
Locked Bag 5022
Parramatta NSW 2124
If you choose to send a written submission and it’s not addressed to the nominated contact person or team, the submission will not be received by the department and will be returned to sender.
Note: For exhibitions commencing on or after 1 April 2024, the Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2021 will require all submissions for state significant projects to be made through the NSW Planning Portal.
What should my submission include?
Your submission must include:
- your full name and address (provide this information in a separate cover letter if you want your personal details to be withheld from publication)
- name of the application and the application number
- a statement on whether you support or object to the proposal or are simply providing comments (preferably in the title or first paragraph of the submission)
- the reasons why you support or object to the proposal
- a declaration of any reportable political donations made in the previous two years (for further information about political donations and to obtain disclosure statements, visit the donations and gift disclosure page).
Privacy and personal information
The department only collects personal information for a lawful purpose which directly relates to our primary function as a NSW Government agency and for obtaining feedback about our services. For more information, read the frequently asked questions below and view the department's privacy statement.
How will your personal information be used?
When you make a submission, the department will publish your:
- name (unless you state you want it withheld)
- submission and any attachments (including any personal information you have included in those documents)
- political donations disclosure statement (if applicable), in accordance with the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 (EP&A Act).
Please note, if you disclose a political donation, you will not be able to request confidentiality as we’re obliged to publish the political donations disclosure statement, which includes your name and address.
You are also encouraged to include a statement indicating your acknowledgement and acceptance of the department’s disclaimer and declaration in your submission, however, this is not mandatory for paper-based submissions. If no such statement is included, the department will assume you acknowledge and accept the disclaimer and declaration.
Can my name be withheld?
If you don’t want your name to be published on the NSW Planning Portal, you must explicitly ask for it to be withheld, either by ticking the relevant box on the online submission form or by including your personal information in a separate cover letter (for paper-based submissions).In this instance, the Planning Portal will display 'NAME WITHHELD' in the list of submitters.
Do not include any personal information in the body of your submission.
We publish submissions in full, regardless of whether any personal information is contained.
For more information on making a submission and how the department will manage and consider submissions, view the department’s submissions policy.
and privacy statement.
After the exhibition period closes, the department publishes all submissions online and asks the proponent to prepare a report responding to any issues raised in the submissions. The submissions report is published on the NSW Planning Portal..
Find out more