Skip to main content
Low Rise Medium Density Housing

Short Term Rental Accommodation (STRA)

A new statewide regulatory framework for short-term rental accommodation (STRA) has been introduced.

The NSW Government has introduced a new statewide regulatory framework for short-term rental accommodation (STRA), which includes a new planning framework, fire safety standards for STRA dwellings and a new Government-run STRA Register. The new framework complements the mandatory Code of Conduct and changes to strata legislation made by the Department of Customer Service.

The department has worked together with the Department of Customer Service to ensure local communities enjoy the economic benefits of STRA, while managing potential adverse impacts.

STRA Register

The department has developed a Government-run STRA Register that will be integrated with booking providers. Registration on the STRA Register is a mandatory requirement before you can undertake STRA in NSW and requires the registrant to confirm the STRA dwelling complies with the Short-term Rental Accommodation Fire Safety Standards.

Registration on the STRA Register will be available from 10 April 2021 to allow hosts to register their dwellings before the new planning rules commence on the 01 November 2021.

Begin your registration 

  1. Register for a NSW Planning Portal account to register your property.
  2. Log in to complete the online registration form.

Information sessions 

To assist councils navigate the new changes, our ePlanning Training Team is holding a number of information sessions in April and May. To register for one of these information sessions, please click here

Other resources

Registering for a NSW Planning Portal account 

If you have yet to register for an account, or are having problems with registering, then this quick reference guide will help you through the process.

QRG: Registering for the NSW Planning Portal

EP&A  Amendment (Short-term Rental Accommodation) Regulation 2021

View the amendments made to the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act.

Amendment STRA


Non-hosted STRA can occur for up to 180 days within certain land of the Muswellbrook and Clarence Valley local government areas.

View the Maps


More information

For more information about the Short Term Rental Accommodation reforms, please visit our planning site.

If you need assistance using the Online STRA register, please view our quick reference guides or contact ServiceNSW on 1300 305 695 for additional support.