BASIX encourages you to choose a design that is appropriate to the climate that the dwelling will be located in (which is also referred to as passive design principles). This includes:
- Orientation - balancing solar access for winter warming (if required) while avoiding overheating in summer;
- Windows - balancing heat, light, ventilation and views;
- Ventilation - managing cooling breezes and reducing uncontrolled air leakage;
- Insulation - reducing uncontrolled heat gain and loss through the building fabric;
- Thermal mass - stabilising internal temperatures especially when there is a large diurnal range; and
- Shading- balancing heat, light and glare.
Last updated: 27/09/2023