Skip to main content
a city street scene

Post Consent Certificates

Subdivision Works Certificate

The Department has released a new digital service that enables customers to apply online to councils for a Subdivision Works Certificate (SWC). This service is currently available in a limited number of local government areas.

A Subdivision Works Certificate (SWC) is required before commencing any subdivision works in connection with a development consent for the subdivision of land.

Subdivision works include civil works such as sewerage works, roadworks and earthworks in connection with appropriate conditions of consent. A SWC certifies that subdivision works carried out will be consistent with development consent, and that these works will meet all regulatory requirements.

SWCs are issued by either a local Council or a private certifier at the start of the construction process.  SWCs do not apply to complying development certificates and some Crown developments.

When subdivision works are completed, a subdivision certificate can be applied for. A subdivision certificate authorises the registration of a plan of subdivision under Part 23 of the Conveyancing Act 1919.

Apply online

You can now apply for your Subdivision Works Certificate online via the NSW Planning Portal in selected Local Government Areas.

If the Online SWC application service is not yet available in your area, you can apply directly to your local council or search for an accredited certifier on the Building Professionals Board’s Register

How to apply online

  1. Register for a NSW Planning Portal account to start your application.
  2. Log in to complete the online application form.

Portal fees

In accordance with the NSW Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2021, applicants are required to pay a digital application processing fee for certain planning applications and certificates.

A full list of fees can be found on the NSW Planning Portal Service Fees page.

Last updated: 27/06/2023