Skip to main content

Development Assessment

Section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993

Applications under Section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993

Section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993 specifies a range of activities where approvals are required to be obtained from the local council. These are often in addition to standard development application (DA) requirements and are known as ‘section 68 approvals’.

What types of activities generally require a section 68 approval?

The following types of activities generally require approval under section 68:

Temporary structures & places of public entertainment
  • Install a manufactured home, moveable dwelling or associated structures.
Water supply, sewerage & stormwater work
  • Carry out water supply work.
  • Draw water from a Council water supply or a standpipe (including selling of the water).
  • Install, alter, disconnect or remove a meter connected to a service pipe.
  • Carry out sewerage work.
  • Carry out stormwater drainage work.
  • Connect a private drain or sewer with a Council controlled public drain or sewer.
Management of waste
  • Transport waste over or under a public place.
  • Put waste in a public place.
  • Put a waste storage container in a public place.
  • Dispose of waste into a Council sewer.
  • Install, construct or alter a waste treatment device, or a human waste storage facility (such as a ‘septic tank’), or, a drain connected to such a facility or device.
  • Operate an on site sewage system (OSMS).
Community Land
  • Engage in a trade or business.
  • Direct or procure a theatrical, musical or other entertainment for the public on community land.
  • Construct a temporary enclosure for the purpose of entertainment.
  • Play a musical instrument or sing on community land for fee or reward.
  • Set up, operate or use a loudspeaker or sound amplifying device on community land.
  • Deliver a public address or hold a religious service or a public meeting on community land. Public Roads
  • Swing or hoist goods across or over any part of a public road by means of a lift, hoist or tackle over the footway.
  • Expose, or allow to be exposed (whether for sale or otherwise) any article in, on, or to overhang any part of the road or outside a shop window or doorway abutting the road, or to hang an article beneath an awning over the road.
Other activities
  • Operate a public car park.
  • Operate a caravan park or camping ground.
  • Operate a manufactured home estate.
  • Install or operate an amusement device.
  • Use a standing vehicle or any article for the purpose of selling any article in a public place.
  • Carry out an activity prescribed under the Local Government Regulations.

Online Section 68 applications

You can now submit an application online, for certain councils, anywhere and anytime with our Online service.

Simply check the list of councils below to see if the service is available in your Local Government Area.

Councils using the online service 

  • Port Macquarie-Hastings
  • Cessnock City Council
  • Byron Bay Shire Council
How to lodge
  1. Register for a NSW Planning Portal account to start your application.
  2. Log in to complete the online application form. You may be required to submit further documents to support your application.

If you are having difficulty using the Service, please contact the ePlanning support team at